Thursday, June 4, 2009

Nourishment

I drank until my thirst was quenched, and then my eyes closed of their own accord and I rested. Even in my reverie I maintained a vigilance, listening for the approaching march of my enemies, but nothing disturbed my rest. I savored the effect the cool ground had on my weary body as I allowed my tired muscles to relax.

I didn't allow myself too much rest before I opened my eyes and drank again from the natural spring. I was feeling better and could better take in my surroundings. I hadn't noticed before but an even tinier rivulet of water was seeping down the tunnel wall, and just beyond the spring there was a small bunch of Hydnum mushrooms growing. At the moment I saw it I realized how hungry I was. I picked one and ate it and then another. I ate one more, and then put the remaining ones into my belt pouch. Those mushrooms could sustain me for for a couple days at least. I lowered myself to the natural spring once more and drank as much as I could. I knew that at the first opportunity I would have to obtain a waterskin.

I stood and listened down the tunnel, but still heard nothing. I was certain that I would soon, but was grateful that so far I was staying ahead of them. I broke into a run and continued on my way up the tunnel. It was hard to leave the spring behind me but I had to keep going forward. Now that I had rested a few hours I was able to run with renewed vigor. I jogged onward and tried not to focus on what lay behind me. I thought some of what lay ahead. Natha Pa'haulen was a traders hub that was well known. I had heard about the the bustling town, but had never been there. All of the tunnels that left Kathdraeth, my home, ended up in Natha Pa'haulen. I wondered what it would be like. I ran on.

After several hours sweat was once again streaming down my brow and I slowed my pace to a fast walk. I fetched the rag from my belt pouch and wiped my brow. I tied it around my forehead again to stop the sweat from blurring my vision. I also took one of the smaller mushrooms out and ate it; relishing every bite of my small meal. I looked over my shoulder and listened again still nothing. I ran on. The tunnel had started to ascend at a steeper incline now and I knew I must be getting closer to the trading hub.

I had to slow to a jog to compensate for the incline and I heightened my guard. Now around every bend and curve I was looking for the lights of the town. Then it was there. At first it was a faint glow and then as I rounded the corner completely I could start to see what was beyond the tunnel.

It was clear that Natha Pa'haulen was much bigger than I had imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter / kellytriskell