Friday, June 26, 2009

The Trader's Trellis


The Trader's Trellis was clearly the work of an imaginative follower of Lolth. I entered the main room where several folks were eating a midday meal or talking over drinks. There was a group of goliaths in the back playing a boisterous game of darts. The room had several pillars in it that had spider web motifs carved into the tops and when I looked closer I realized there were carved spiders descending each of the pillars. Behind the bar was a great carving of Lolth depicted as half drow, half spider. Trying to hide my distaste for the theme of this establishment, I went to the bar and asked about getting a bath . The proprietor, a tall female drow with red eyes, called one of the serving boys over and instructed him to prepare a bath for me. I followed him into a small room and began taking off my armor while he filled the tub. When he finished filling the tub I requested that he have my clothes cleaned and asked him to bring me a pair of scissors and a mirror. As I slid into the warm water the tension of the past few days seemed to melt away. I allowed the heat to soak into my tired muscles for several minutes before I even touched the soap. As I cleaned the grime, blood and sweat of the past few days off I started to feel like myself again.

I had decided that changing my appearance was necessary, and that cutting my hair was my best option. I had always been vain about my hair. I had the longest hair of anyone I knew, and my mother had always said that it was like silver. It was one of the few pleasant things she had ever said to me. I dreaded having it cut, but I knew that I would feel safer walking around if I did. I sat on the stool, propped the mirror up in front of me, and began cutting it off one clump at a time. I felt as if pieces of me were hitting the floor. I had never cut my hair and it had grown down several inches below my butt. I cut the back very short, but allowed it to remain longer towards the front. Still the longest hairs came down just below my jaw. Since this journey had begun I had been able to push my emotions down, but now as I looked in the mirror my heart sank and a single tear cascaded down my cheek. I was overwhelmed and put my head down on the counter next to the mirror. I had to keep going, but where would I go? I had no idea; I just knew that I had no desire to remain among the worshipers of Lolth.

After I was dressed I returned to the main room and ordered a hearty meal. I figured I might as well eat one hot meal before I continued my journey. As I ate I tried to imagine what tomorrow would bring, but my apprehension about my future was too distracting. I ended up trying to concentrate on my food. While I considered my future I continued to worry about my enemies and wondered if they were entering the city even now. It seemed like only moments had passed since I had sat down to eat, but it was already time to go back to the trader's stall and meet the merchant that he had spoken of. I paid for my bath and my meal, and headed for the trader's stall.

As I approached the stall I saw the trader talking with a short stocky figure dressed in brown from head to toe.

"Ah...Here she is now. This is my friend that I was telling you about."

"My name's Chali, and I'd like to offer my skill with my blades to you." I introduced myself quickly knowing the trader didn't know my name.

"I am Dokrum." he spoke very slowly and I noticed that under the lights his skin seemed to shine as if it were copper. I also quickly noticed that his hands were quite large; unusually large. "I have not heard of you. You say you have some skill with the blade, but you have no reputation." Listening to his deep sonorous voice I realized that I would have to have patience while listening to the slow almost glacial cadence of his speech.

"I may not have a reputation, but I have trained with these weapons for ten years. All I would request for my services is a seat on your wagon." Dokrum contemplated my proposition. I caught a knowing look in the eye of the drow trader, and I could tell he guessed more about my situation than I would have volunteered. After several minutes of thought Dokrum gave me his answer.

"If that is all you require I will allow you to join me and hope that your skills will not be needed on our journey. Meet me tomorrow at 6am at the East Gate of the city."

"I'll be there." I smiled and extended my hand which was engulfed a moment later by his as we shook on the deal. Then Dokrum excused himself.

"Thank you for the introduction. By the way What is your name?" I asked the trader.

"I'm Quevaoner." he replied with a smile.

"Thank you, I will not forget your help. How do I get to the East Gate from The Trader's Trellis?"

"Simply head east on Oreb Street that passes on the side of the inn. That will take you to the East Gate."

I thanked him again, and headed back to the inn.

Once again I entered the establishment that was dedicated to the spider queen. I was tired and went to the bar to arrange for a room. I had no idea that I was about to have the most amazing spectacle revealed to me. "How much for a room for the night?" I asked the proprietor.

"Our rooms are unique and are 5 gold a night with your morning meal included." She said.

"OK" I replied reaching into my belt pouch for the money.

She led me through a back door and what greeted me was a most unusual sight. The "rooms" were actually hammocks that were individually suspended from the ceiling. Each hammock was surrounded by smaller mesh compartments that gave each "room" the look of a spider's web where the occupant would sleep in the center. Each had a trellis ladder that the guest would have to climb to get to their room.

"Each room is completely secure because of the telescoping trellis that can be drawn up and stowed with your belongings in the surrounding compartments." I could hear the pride in her voice as she continued to describe the ingenious system. "When you leave for the day everything in your room will remain quite safe because we have you keep your trellis in one of these lockers which can only be opened with your key. Each trellis will only attach to its specific room because of the unique clasps. All of this was created for us by the inventor, Berenwicket Namzig" As I gazed at what I saw before me I noticed that some of the rooms had no trellis and had heavy curtains of various colors drawn around them for privacy. "Please choose any of the open rooms." she said sweeping her hand through the air to display my choices. The rooms were hanging at varying heights with some rooms low to the ground and others much higher up. I chose an open room about midway up and near the back door. I thanked her as she handed me my key. I found the trellis to be sturdy as I climbed up, but very light once I lifted it into my hammock where I stowed it near the clasps. I pulled the green curtain closed, and tossed my boots and backpack into one of the compartments.

Finally I lay back and relaxed; once again slipping into reverie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter / kellytriskell