Saturday, May 30, 2009

Exhaustion

I jogged forward pushing myself harder than I had ever pushed before; my muscles burned with every step. My throat was scratchy and dry. I began to look for a well or a source of water but all I saw was the tunnel. I pictured our towns well, but my overwhelming thirst brought me back to reality. I would be forced to stop soon, but if I stopped I would surely be cut down by Bur'daer and his clan. I continued to push forward and retrieved one of the scraps of cloth from my belt pouch. I stopped for a moment to catch my breath and wipe the sweat from my brow, and neck. Then I tied the damp rag around my forehead to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

I continued feeling that I could only make it a few more steps, but each time I felt that I couldn't continue I forced myself to take a few more steps. I knew that at this point it was my own force of will that was propelling me forward; my body had nothing left to give. I saw a slight curve ahead and made a goal to get around it, but as I pressed on I stumbled tripping over my own feet. I collapsed on the stone defeated by exhaustion. I pulled the cloth from my head and wiped my brow and neck once more. I twisted it into a knot squeezing what little moisture it contained into my open mouth. Maybe two drops dripped onto my cracked lips before I closed them around the rag and sucked the remaining moisture out. It was salty but I didn't care- it was something. I lay against the cold tunnel floor trying to catch my breath.

As my breathing slowed I could feel the exhaustion taking over and my eyes began to close of their own accord. I was drifting in an out of conscientiousness, but I heard a sound that brought me back. I must be imagining this. I listened again, and heard the faint trickle of water as it dripped from the tunnel wall. I listened closely and could tell it was coming from around the corner. I hoisted myself up and made a feeble attempt at walking. I just continued towards the sound. I inched around the corner and there it was! A tiny trickle had forced it's way through a weak spot in the rock and was creating a small glistening spot on the wall. The Teken'ndar had turned the imperfection into a natural well by digging out a shallow pool that collected the water. I hit the ground once more and drank.

As the water washed down my throat I knew I had escaped death, and I gratefully collapsed with my face inches away from this lifesaving spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter / kellytriskell