Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Natha Pa'haulen


I dropped a Cloud of Darkness to surround myself as I watched from the exit of tunnel. I was stunned by the site in front of me. There were people of every imaginable race rushing past. I saw a group of duergar walk by and a moment later a couple of svirfneblin passed. I had never seen such different people before. I had heard of the various cultures that frequented the trading hub Natha Pa'haulen but I couldn't have imagined how different they would be. I almost jumped back when I saw the tall shadowy figure that was lurking near the alley across the street. I had heard of them but hoped to never meet one. I watched in horror as one of the creatures four tentacles coming from its head slowly wrapped around its victims head. I knew I was witnessing the frighting power of an illithid. A shiver ran down my spine and I turned away in disgust.

I knew that I needed to leave this city as soon as possible. I saw a group of drow approaching and decided to try blending in. I dismissed the Cloud of Darkness and quietly fell in behind the group. I walked a short distance with them and then turned down a street with many traders stalls. I knew I was a person of no consequence here and that was fine with me. I scanned the traders and approached one who seemed slightly less hardened than the others. I reached up and unclasped the necklace that was worn by all the females of the Rilyn'lyl family. It featured Lolth as a spider surrounded by two blades whose sharp edges made up the outside edge of the pendant. Each pendant was made of mithril and was handed down through the family. I had been presented with this on my fifth birthday and had worn it every day since. As soon as I removed the weight from around my neck I realized that I had no desire to keep it any longer. I needed supplies.

I approached the drow trader and presented the pendant. "I need supplies and money for traveling." I said.

"We have whatever you need." he replied as he examined the piece.

"I need a waterskin, a longbow, and food for my journey."

The trader went to the back of his stall and returned with two bows. One was made of Ash and was pale; almost white, but the other looked more unique. I asked him about it.

"This is made of the finest Sapele wood taken from the forests of Amtar. It is a fine bow; perfectly shaped by the craftsman. Examine it."

I picked it up and tested the bowstring holding it lightly to assess the balance. He was not lying it was perfectly balanced. "This is quite beautiful." I said admiring the deep red color of the wood. "I'll take it." I also picked up a waterskin. "Can you fill this and package 15 days of food. I'll need a backpack as well."

He said "Let's talk business first."

"Fine, make me an offer."

"80 gold"

"You must be joking!" I said laughing in his face. This was bold compared to the drow males I was used to dealing with. "That pendant is worth at least 200." I said inflating its value.

"Hardly, I'll give you 110 for it."

I scoffed "I'll take no less than 175."

"I'll give you 135 for it and no more."

He sounded firm but I decided to push my luck "If you can introduce me to a small caravan that is hiring protection I'll let you have it for 150." He looked thoughtful for a long moment. I thought I might have pushed him too far.

"I think I can help you." he said with a smile "150 for the pendant minus the longbow and the other goods you've requested that will be 100 gold even."

As soon as I saw him smile I knew that he was the one who would profit from this deal, but if he could help me get hired on as protection for a caravan leaving the city it was worth it. "When can I meet the merchant you're thinking of?"

"Come back here in two hours.It'll be up to you to convince him to take you on." He said as he packed the food and put it in a backpack. "It's been a pleasure doing business with you." He smiled again and handed me the gold and the pack.

"Is there an inn that you would recommend?"

"Try The Trader's Trellis. Head down this street and take your first left. You'll see it."

"Thank you" I Said as I headed for The Trader's Trellis.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter / kellytriskell