Friday, May 8, 2009

Despair

I had been jogging up the tunnel for hours at a steady incline. I was exhausted and thirsty. I had to rest. I wondered if there was any chance of finding a natural spring. I started looking for any source of water as I continued the pace of the previous hours journey. All that I saw was the rough unhewn walls of the tunnel which, except for the occasional curve or bend, was grey and lifeless. I slowed, feeling defeated as I sank down against the cold stone. I wouldn't be able to continue if I couldn't find something to drink. I hung my head and closed my eyes breathing heavily.

I reflected on the 16 years of my life, but as I thought about my life I was constantly interrupted by a nagging and persistent thought. "No matter how bad the circumstance; Never Surrender!" I remembered the sword master at the academy saying this to us over and over. Any time that we heard those words as we sparred with one another we tightened our grips and heightened our senses. We knew that in an instant our instructor could spring into the fray, and battle both of us as we battled each other. No one had ever bested the sword master and we were guaranteed to return home with new bruises, but when he challenged us his yells of "Never Surrender" were as relentless as the blows of his wooden practice blade.

"No matter how bad the circumstance; Never Surrender!" interrupted my desperate thoughts again and this time I raised my head. My strength was drained and I felt that I couldn't continue, but I wasn't dead yet. I removed my dark green leather armor and stripped off my clothes that were caked with blood. I ripped a relatively clean section of fabric from my shirt and used it to clean off the sweat that covered every inch of my body. When I was finished the rag was damp with my sweat, blood, and the grime that had covered me from head to toe. I hadn't had any water since we had left our house and marched into battle. I had never been this thirsty. I looked at the damp rag and pondered my predicament. I remembered the history of the Siege Survivors Return and how they had lived through the siege by consuming their own sweat and urine. I knew my thirst would only get worse, but I couldn't bring that filthy rag to my dry lips. I did, however, salvage a few other pieces of fabric from the ruined garments in case my situation grew more desperate.

I unwrapped my sisters healing kit and quickly bandaged the wound in my side. Even after the potion it was still raw and I hoped that the bandage would help keep it clean. I doubted that it would.

I stood, and changed into the new clothes. The shirt puckered around my ample bust. The Rilyn'lyl women were known for what they called the hedonistic gift. I remember them laughing sadistically as they talked of their exploits of seduction. I had never really paid attention, but started to wonder if this trait would come in handy now that I was on my own. I entertained this thought while I put my armor back on. As soon as I had the greaves fastened around my calves I began to run again.

I forced myself to keep a swift pace knowing that my enemies were advancing up the tunnel and would soon overtake me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter / kellytriskell