Friday, March 20, 2009

My Return

As I hurried down the passageway I began to consider my predicament. My cloths were covered in blood, I was wounded, and I had no idea where I was gong to go. I had to go back. I knew my sister had supplies that I needed to bandage my wound. I decided to surround myself with a Cloud of Darkness. I knew I would, at least, be able to get close to the edge of the tunnel without being seen. I hurried back and crouched just inside the tunnel. I could see that some of the bodies that lay to the left of where I had fallen had been removed. I stepped back a couple feet to make sure my Cloud of Darkness couldn't be distinguished from the shadows of the tunnel, and then I crouched and watched.

There were three hobgoblin slaves that were coming and going clearing the bodies. I watched for 1/2 an hour and knew that if I didn't make my move soon my sisters body would be gone with the rest. I saw my chance; the hobgoblins were all gone. I figured I had maybe three minutes before the first one returned. I looked around once more to be sure and then ran out of the tunnel straight towards my sisters body. I grabbed her arms and pulled with all of my strength. As soon as I had her free from the heap I dragged her quickly into the tunnel.

Still concealed in the darkness I searched her body for the potions of healing that I knew she had carried. Of the five that she had gone into battle with only two remained. I drank one and immediately felt relief from the pain of the gash gash in my side. I deposited the other in my belt pouch. She also had a healers kit that I took. I would bandage the wound later. I looked at her clothes and realized that they weren't any better than mine. As I considered her remaining possessions I realized that I had no use for any of them. I couldn't use any of her magic wands or rings and her ornaments of Lolth were of no value to me. I rejected Lolth and everything she stood for. It occurred to me that although I had grown up and lived in this community my whole life I no longer had any reason or desire to stay.

I left her body there and walked up the tunnel. Life would be different now with my family gone, but I suddenly felt liberated. I was free of all the things that I hadn't known how to escape only two days before. I wouldn't have to worship a deity I had no belief in, and I would never have to participate in the distasteful and barbarous customs of my people. I had no idea where I was going but that made me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter / kellytriskell