Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Escape

When I opened my eyes I couldn't see anything, my head was pounding, the stench of blood and the fallen filled my nostrils, and an unimaginable weight was pushing down on me. What had happened? I extracted my hand from where it was wedged and pushed at whatever was covering my face. With effort, I had created a pocket of space around my face; at least I could see. I realized the weight I felt was the weight of bodies that had fallen on top of me as I lay unconscious. I began to push and squirm trying to free myself from the mess that lay on... I froze! There were voices.

"Get rid of this mess as soon as you finish cleaning up the front of the house." a deep voice ordered the slave.

I realized that I had to move; I had to get away without being seen. I heard their footsteps walking away and waited several minutes. I began to move slowly, until I could see through a gap between a shoulder and a boot. I looked around as much as my position allowed. As far as I could tell there was no one around. Even so, I only dared to move at a snails pace. Every thought that wasn't centered on extricating myself from the heap was focused on the slimmest hope that I could get away without being seen. I had to ignore the fear in my throat that was making it hard to swallow. If I didn't keep moving I'd be dead like everyone else that I had grown up with.

As I got my shoulders free I looked around slowly; barely moving my head. I couldn't see anyone and I allowed myself to move more quickly. Still the minutes were passing and I had no idea when the slave would be back to finish his gruesome task. I knew there was a passage that led out of the city nearby. Every House had a passage near the back of their dwelling that left Kathdraeth. It was convenient to be able to come and go from the city without the neighboring House knowing your business. I spotted what I was looking for; it was about 20 yards away. I struggled to free myself even more. My torso was free now. I looked around once more- still no one. I grabbed my swords, kicked my feet free, and dashed towards the passage.

I had made it! I was covered in blood and sweat, and as I started making my way through the passage I began to wonder how far I would get in my present condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter / kellytriskell